The Emergency Food and Shelter Program is intended to supplement and extend current available resources for providing ongoing emergency services. EFSP Phase 38 is now open. Applications will close at 11:59 p.m. Friday, January 22.
Any nonprofit, faith-based or local government agency that provides food and shelter services may apply for funds. Current or former EFSP participation is not required for participation.
All agencies applying for EFSP funds must provide their DUNS number and FEIN in their application. The numbers may be obtained as follows:
- Data and Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number: DUNS numbers are issued by Dun & Bradstreet (D&B) at no cost.
- Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN): FEIN numbers are issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at no cost.
EFSP Funds must be used to supplement food and shelter services and may not be used as seed money for new programs. The key responsibility of participating organizations is to provide assistance within the intent of the program. Agencies may receive funds to provide food, shelter, and supportive services, including but not limited to:
- Food services, such as congregate meals or groceries;
- Lodging in a mass shelter, or in a hotel/motel or other off-site shelter facility limited to 30-days assistance per individual or household;
- One month rent or mortgage assistance to prevent eviction or foreclosure;
- Utility assistance for one month of service for gas, electric, and water service;
- Supplies, including but not limited to cleaning supplies and small equipment essential to feed or shelter people, not exceeding $300 per item; and
- Administrative funding, if approved by the Local Board. Administrative funds may be used to offset costs to administer the program, including staff salary. Two percent of a jurisdiction’s award may be used for administrative expenses. Agencies must confirm with the Local Board before making administrative expenditures with the funds.
Please direct general questions & inquiries about EFSP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO APPLY USING FOUNDANT
To learn more about how to use Foundant to apply for EFSP funding, watch the videos below.